Thursday, October 3, 2013

Setting up Tikona with D-Link DSL-2750U

I bought a D-Link DSL-2750U which is in my opinion the most versatile router I could find.

Versatile, because I can use it with an ADSL/ADSL+ provider like BSNL or a 3G provider using its USB port or a provider like Tikona that provides internet based on a ethernet connection.

Also its a N300 based router so I expect it to give me good Wifi Speeds. (Haven't tested that yet.)

Anyway, to cut my ramblings short, the intent of this blog entry is to document how I got the router to work with the help of Tikona's tech support.

Here are the steps:
  1. Reset the router to factory settings by pressing the Reset button under the router
  2. Connect a LAN cable from LAN port 1 to the computer
  3. Go to http://192.168.1.1/
  4. Enter the default user name and password (admin/admin)
  5. In the Local Network disable the DHCP server
  6. Then setup the wireless by going to the Wireless Basic option
  7. There setup the network SID (whatever you want)
  8. Hit apply
  9. Go to Wireless Advanced
  10. Select security as Auto(WPA/WPA2)
  11. Enter the network key (whatever you want)
  12. Hit Apply
  13. Reboot the router
  14. Disconnect the LAN cable from the computer
  15. Connect the LAN cable from Tikona to the computer
  16. Go to the login page (1.254.254.254) but do not login
  17. Disconnect the LAN cable from the computer
  18. Connect the cable from Tikona to LAN port 1 of the router
  19. Connect the computer/laptop to the Wifi network setup earlier
  20. Go to the login page (1.254.254.254) on the computer and login
With that I could access the internet using Wifi and Tikona. Next step was to secure the Wifi (hiding the SID, changing the default password, etc.).

So the router has proved that it can work with Tikona too as long as the DHCP server is disabled. Hope someone finds this useful.

Update:
I found out later that I could only connect computers to the Wifi as every device needed to login. Neither my phones nor my TV could login to Tikona's web site. So I decided to go back  to the plain-old WiFi router I used to have to share Tikona's connection and use this one for my ADSL connection only.